Movember aka November is here! This is the month we dedicate to support prostate cancer and male mental health initiatives, and the month that we support the men in our lives while they grow really silly mustaches.
Movember is a time where we can come together as a community and support a great cause that has affected many friends, family and loved ones.
This year Brookfield Homes is proud to be supporting this cause, and we are even having a North American-wide challenge to see who can grow the Best Brookfield Mo’. Stay tuned for some Mo’tastic pictures!
Some facts taken from the Movember website are:
- The average life expectancy for men is five years less than women (78 years compared to 83)
- 1 in 5 Canadian will experience an anxiety disorder during their lifetime
- The male suicide rate is 4 times higher than that of women
- 2 in 5 men will be diagnosed with cancer in their lifetime
- 1 in 7 men in Canada will develop prostate cancer. 26,500 new cases will be diagnosed in Canada this year alone
- Close to 4,000 Canadian men die of prostate cancer annually
Impact on Awareness:
- 9 in 10 participants spent time thinking about improving their general health during Movember
- 8 in 10 participants visited a doctor in the 12 months following Movember
- 7 in 10 participants discussed men’s health with their family, friends or colleagues during Movember
- 6 in 10 participants cited prostate cancer as the first issue that comes to mind when thinking of men’s health
- 1 in 2 participants carried our personal research on men’s health issues during Movember
- 1 in 2 participants understand that their health depends on how well they take care of themselves